The Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System Professional Development DVD will help you in administering the Benchmark System. The DVD includes 5 sections that serve different purposes:
- The OVERVIEW section provides a description of the various components of the system and a walk-through of the standard steps in administering the assessment.
- An ASSESSMENT PROCEDURES section explains how to administer the assessment from beginning to end. This section provides an overview of the steps involved in administering the assessment but does not explain assessment techniques in detail.
- A TUTORIALS section provides detailed instructions in administering each part of the benchmark assessment. This section includes step-by-step tutorials that will help you learn how to code, score, and analyze students' oral reading. You'll also be able to practice scoring fluency, comprehension, and the optional writing assessment.
- An INSTRUCTIONAL IMPLICATIONS section explains how benchmark assessments can inform instruction, with examples of teachers interpreting results and considering next steps for teaching.
- A SAMPLE ASSESSMENT CONFERENCE section offers an opportunity to practice administering an assessment. You can view a complete assessment conference and have a chance to try your hand at scoring, analyzing, and interpreting it.
The DVD is designed to be used differently by different people. For example, those who are already familiar with administering running records may only need to view the Assessment Procedures section, while those who are newer to one-on-one assessment of oral reading may also find the Tutorials section very helpful.