It's time to rethink the traditional science fair, with its tired tri-fold posters and first-prize ribbons. It's time to create an event where children share the results of authentic, personally meaningful explorations with one another rather than compete for adults' praise and attention. It's time for a Kids' Inquiry Conference (KIC).
Beyond the Science Fair is a how-to manual for organizing and hosting a KIC that's linked to your curricular planning and goals. Beginning with a snapshot of a KIC developed by the authors, Beyond the Science Fair guides you through the specifics of organizing and hosting the conference in your classroom, school, or district, with:
Then Beyond the Science Fair details how KICs can contribute toward your curricular objectives, including information on how they help you:
- a wealth of narrative descriptions of KIC classrooms
- examples of student projects
- personal reflections by students and teachers involved in KICs
- tips on encouraging student involvement
- an extensive resource list
- 26 helpful, reproducible forms like student registrations, promotional flyers, and letters to parents.
Adopt a more meaningful and student-centered alternative to the science fair. Read Beyond the Science Fair and create opportunities for kids to investigate their world and share the products of their natural curiosity with a scientific community of their peers.
- meet science and literacy standards
- develop students' critical-thinking, analytical, and presentation skills
- implement inquiry-based science instruction
- use cross-curricular learning to support scientific inquiry.
- The Kids' Inquiry Conference: An Overview
- The Evolution of KIC
- The Road to KIC: A Classroom Story
- KIC in the Classroom
I: Laying the Foundation Through Exploration
II: Moving Beyond Exploration to Investigation and Presentation
- Connecting Science and Literacy Through Inquiry and the Kids' Inquiry Conference
- Assessment in the Inquiry Classroom
- Supporting Science and Literacy Standards Through KIC
- Learning to Think Outside the Box: A Student's Story
- The Nuts and Bolts of Organizing and Hosting KIC
Label companion resources
Label support materials
Label product support
No sales resources available for this title