This collection of friendly, inviting, and practical essays from experienced practitioners is a valuable asset for any elementary teacher interested in integrating inquiry-based science and literacy strategies in their classrooms.
Harold Pratt, President, National Science Teachers Association
What does a Science Workshop look like in a real classroom? How do Science Workshop teachers plan? Where does literacy instruction come into play? How do you track children's learning? This second edition, chock-full of new information and ideas, leaves teachers even more eager to implement an inquiry-based science curriculum.
Practical suggestions, strategies and materials abound. Living examples demonstrate how a Science Workshop fosters authentic inquiry across the curriculum, and supports a classroom where choice and interaction thrive. "Science Workshop takes inquiry-based science to a level that empowers children to be scientists for the rest of their lives," noted Science and Children about the first edition. This new edition adds 10 more years of experience and ideas for sharing inquiry with young people.
- Wendy Saul frames the book with a new introduction providing a theoretical overview and a new final chapter about the future of science and "action research."
- Updated plans for organizing the Workshop from Charles Pearce and Jeanne Reardon.
- Two new chapters, by Donna Dieckman and Jeanne Reardon, focus on science reading and writing to support inquiry.
- A new chapter on Assessment by classroom teacher Donna Dieckman.
- All new resources including websites by resource specialist Donna Neutze.
1. Science Workshop, W. Saul
2. Science Workshop: Capturing the Essence of Science Inquiry, J. Reardon
3. Inquiry: A Classroom Model, C. Pearce
4. Reading as Scientists, D. Dieckman
5. Writing—A Way into Thinking Science, J. Reardon
6. Inquiring into Assessment, D. Dieckman
7. Resources for Resourceful Teachers, D. Neutze
8. Looking Both Ways, W. Saul
Label companion resources
Label support materials
Label product support
No sales resources available for this title