Mathematics, Pedagogy, and Secondary Teacher Education sheds new light on what it means to integrate content and pedagogy in a teacher-education context. Whether new to the field or seasoned professionals, all secondary teachers are encouraged to view instructional issues in relation to their own experiences in learning mathematics.
Ideal for preservice and inservice programs, this book provides a foundation for developing a deep understanding of topics fundamental to learning school mathematics; helps teachers develop expertise in the processes emphasized in the NCTM Standards; and offers activities that capture the rich interplay of inductive and deductive thinking in mathematics. The chapters include:
· “Thinking About Being a Mathematics Teacher” complements the other content-oriented chapters by challenging teachers to reflect on their goals and experiences related to mathematics education.
· “Developing a Topic Across the Curriculum” examines the ways in which mathematical content and teaching pedagogy are intertwined and inseparable when one begins to think and teach about functional relationships.
· “Designing Teaching” explores what might be called a teacher’s “design kit” in relation to one of the most central topics of high school geometry--the Pythagorean Theorem--and looks at how teachers can expand their “design kit” to other mathematics topics.
· “Analyzing Subject Matter” suggests that combinatorial problems offer students a realistic opportunity to develop mathematics like a professional mathematician--asking questions, experimenting, posing conjectures, developing models, proving theorems, and generalizing questions and concepts.
· “Modeling with Functions” focuses on how models based on functional relationships help us understand, predict, and control events in our lives and can therefore provide powerful mathematical experiences for students.
· “Posing Mathematically” looks at the process of problem posing in the teaching of mathematics and helps teachers see the importance of the design of problems to student exploration.
Label companion resources
Label support materials
Label product support
No sales resources available for this title